Last post we mentioned the efforts of Mayor Rudolph Blankenburg (1911-1916) to modernize the city’s infrastructure. Part of his plan involved the hiring of talented department heads like A. Merritt Taylor and Morris Cooke. Blankenburg also hired George W. Norris to head up the newly created Department of Wharves, Docks, and Ferries. Norris embarked on an ambitious “finger pier” construction program — some of which exist today, like Municipal Pier No. 9.